Disability; how to support a family? The term “disability” and the interpretation of this term. The article will discuss how to behave correctly if a disabled person lives in the family. A disabled person in the family is a problem that no adequate person can dismiss. When a person becomes helpless, he needs moral and physical support from relatives. It is necessary to figure out how to deal with the voice problem if the close circle of the victim does not see a way out of this situation.
Decoding and history of the formation of the term “disabled.”
Before starting to deal with the situation when there is a non-disabled person in the family, it is necessary to study the meaning of this term itself. The term “disabled” has Latin roots in the word’s origin and is translated as “defective.”
If we look at this definition from our mindset, we should refer to the time of Peter I. In those days, all those soldiers who were sent to civilian status due to injuries were called. However, Western Europe narrowly interpreted the term “disabled” and referred only to soldiers.
The 19th century adapted its concept to the specified ideas when this term already meant the civilian population that suffered from hostility. After the end of World War II, the spoken word made its meaning even more tangible.
Disabled people are now all people who have a physical, mental, or intellectual disabilities.
If we look at this phenomenon in detail, it is impossible to single out the aspect under investigation. Personality is not the same, and neither are disabled people.
Age diagnosis of disability
In this case, it should understand that at each stage of his development, a person reacts differently to the events that occur to him. When sorting by disability, it is necessary to distinguish two categories of objects that somehow stand out from their surroundings:
- Children with disabilities … This could happen both in the womb and as a result of injury or severe illness. Let’s take statistical data as a basis. Half of the cases of such a phenomenon are due to problems with the functioning of the brain. Researchers blame 5% of injured children on traffic accidents and injuries. Still, as a result, the child became wholly or partially disabled.
- Adults with disabilities … Some people get this status at an advanced age. Psychologically, it is all the more difficult to endure tragic events because, in their consciousness, they have a comparison with a healthy life in the past. The causes of disability can be very different, but often an accident is the culprit of a person’s disability.
Disability because it exists
When the situation is silent, there is also a differentiation of concepts when analyzing the problem. When investigating the aspect of total or partial disability, it is necessary to isolate the term “disability” in the following elements:
- Awarded from childhood … Usually, it is expressed for severe congenital diseases. However, a child can become ill during puberty, leading to severe consequences.
- Disabled fighting … This status can be claimed by people who have suffered significant health damage during the war. Such injuries include infections, shocks, and illnesses acquired while on duty.
- Disabled workforce … The term suggests that the position is assigned to victims of work-related injuries. In this case, we can discuss an accident or an occupational disease caused by unfavorable working conditions.
- Disabled people with a common disease … Payment for this fact is allocated to all characterized by disabled persons. At the same time, pathology can have various reasons for education. Still, documents it is often encrypted to protect medical secrecy.
Disability by work skills
Depending on the ability of disabled people to work, the following groups are distinguished:
- Disabled group I … People who have received this category of disability cannot take care of themselves. At the same time, they may feel confused in the presence of a violation of communication and control of their behavior. When the first group is voiced, people are considered entirely dependent on their immediate environment due to the severity of their illness.
- Disabled group II … With the help of external help, these individuals can serve themselves. They are set in space and time, but they need installation from other sources. Such people control their behavior under the condition of support and supervision by those who want to help them. Such a group includes parts of the performance that may not correspond to all areas of human activity.
- Disabled group III … People with a vocal status move around, but it takes longer than other members of society. They can communicate with their environment but do so with the wrong speed of assimilation of information as their interlocutor. In light working conditions, individuals with this medical diagnosis can fully work, which allows them to find work according to their abilities.
Disability according to the nature of the disease
It is not the end of the classification by the vocal criterion because there is another category of partial or total disability:
- Mobile group … The name suggests that people can move independently after notification of the committee’s decision. Therefore, in the future, they will live almost their entire life with some restrictions regarding health and working conditions.
- Mobile group … Such people can move, but only with the help of prams or crutches. In this case, working at home is convenient for them, so they feel that society needs it. The possibility of assistance with delivery to the workplace is also suitable for them if it is impossible to get there independently. However, not all entrepreneurs agree because the voice factor carries an additional capital cost.
- A fixed group … Spacious people can still distinguish the events around them. In addition, they can create works that readers will remember for a long time. The author of the famous composition “Evening Bells,” Ivan Kozlov, wrote it when he could not move and became blind.
Important! The lives of disabled people are arranged solely by orientation to the assigned group. It is impossible to demand from a disabled person what he cannot perform.
Characteristics of behavior with disabled people in the family
In this case, the immediate environment should be cautious about their injured relatives. It is necessary to understand what you can do in this case and what you should avoid.
Wrong behavior of loved ones with a disabled person in the family
To obtain the correct method of communication with a disabled person, relatives should avoid the following actions toward the patient:
- Building a wall from the outside world … When problems arise, some relatives try to create a bond between their family and acquaintances. Psychologists consider this a fundamentally wrong decision because, in this way, despite the best intentions of loved ones, the loneliness of disabled people becomes the most noticeable.
- Removal from all household responsibilities … If a disabled person loses the opportunity to develop fine motor skills, this will hurt potential rehabilitation. The exception is people from a sedentary group for whom it is impractical to carry out such tasks.
- A discussion of evil fate … One of the most common mistakes is such an oversight by the victim’s loved ones. You cannot undo the past, so it is impossible to complain about “if only…” in any case. Hearing such statements from loved ones will be unbearably painful for a family member who has become disabled.
- Finding the culprit … Only this aspect can be worse than arguing about evil fate when a deep analysis of what happened. In this case, the victim will feel like a heavy cross for the whole family. Eventually, she will withdraw and try to isolate herself from others as much as possible.
- Carelessness in words … Some psychologists consider the term “disabled” an offensive word instead of a definition in the form of disabled people. However, some overly caring relatives show clearly and loudly everywhere that they have such problems in the family. Such inappropriate behavior often affects people who have become partially or entirely unable to work for one reason or another.
- Stop sign … In this case, the problem of disabled people in the family acquires international proportions. The worst thing for an injured person is the refusal of his close circle to believe in his future. It is not recommended to talk about an impossible cure in the presence of the injured person. Faith has given strength to many, so this behavior is fundamentally wrong.
- Inappropriate support … Some people think it’s a good idea to look only for the positive side of a disability. To encourage the victim, they describe to him all the pleasures of social assistance from the state and talk about the advantages of being tied to work. At the same time, I want to invite such people to change places with a disabled person, which will immediately cool their interest.
In all these cases, the close circle wants to do the best for the patient who is dear to them. However, the effect of such actions will be the opposite because you need to know all the intricacies of treating an injured person.
Correct behavior of relatives towards a disabled person in the family
After describing the wrong approach to the voiced problem, you should calculate the correct solution in this situation.
Psychologists, who understand the sensitivity of the case, have developed the following suggestions for the victim’s family members:
- Destruction of the information barrier … A disabled person has the right to communicate with the outside world because, due to his ability, it is necessary to give him this opportunity. For example, blind people need to buy cassettes or discs with information of interest to victims. Braille books will be helpful for them so that they can develop and receive a specific education. For those with limited mobility, you can help find online communities of people with similar issues. It is always easier to communicate with those in the same situation. And it becomes easier for relatives because the disabled person realizes there are still people like him. Still, they do not give up but fight for their lives or learn to survive in the current situation.
- Denial of overprotection … under challenging cases, such assistance is needed because a disabled person cannot live without it. In other situations, you should not once again remind the disabled person that they cannot take care of themselves. He can do some of the actions available to him on his own.
- A desire to listen … We sometimes need to speak out, shout out everything that has accumulated. Relatives need to talk to their loved ones and support them morally. However, people should not allow themselves to sink entirely into their condition. It’s full of depression, nervous breakdown, and suicidal thoughts.
- An important factor in self-confidence is a beauty … This is especially true for women. They need to look good. To do this, do not neglect such simple actions as coloring the hair. Before going out, apply the most straightforward makeup and help to do the hair if she cannot do it herself. As for men, clean, neat clothes are enough for them.
- Cheap work … If it is possible to carry out some actions in terms of work, it is necessary to give a disabled person the opportunity to realize himself. The close circle should strive to find suitable employment for the person they care about. It could be a factory that works with disabled people (for example, assembling shops). Also, for some, driving a car designed for operating with physical limitations will be acceptable.
If a person has already been burned more than once, when he refuses to hire him, from whom he lowered his hands, relatives should talk to him, comfort him, and help restore faith in his strength. The fact is that employers can far from always hiring a disabled person, as this implies the need to prepare the workplace separately. And many companies, due to financial problems, are not in the best position and cannot do that.
Etiquette when contacting a disabled person because of strangers
Relatives usually quickly learn how to communicate with the affected family member. The situation is more complicated with those not included in the number of people from the close circle of disabled people.
For them, experts have developed several tips to eliminate discomfort in dealing with a person with limited abilities:
- Keep the conversation right … In no case should you refer only to the person accompanying the disabled. It is considered the height of tastelessness because, in this way, the injured party’s failure is again emphasized.
- Patience in communication: Some disabled people cannot quickly absorb the information the interviewer brings. It would help if you were empathetic during a problem conversation but listened carefully to the disabled person.
- Correct actions … If a disabled person is deaf, it is permissible to draw attention to his character again. A wave or a light pat on the interviewer’s shoulder will help. However, such actions towards a person limited in the movement are unacceptable.
- Construction … You should immediately remember that a wheelchair is a personal space for a person and his privacy. Under no circumstances may you push or lean against it without the permission of the owner of such a vehicle.
- Foresight … If a man can’t see well, you shouldn’t grab him and drag him along every possible bump and hole. It is necessary to warn the disabled of the obstacles on the way but carefully hold his hand.
- Friendship … This aspect is primarily concerned with the moment of communication with a disabled person who has mental disorders. The myth of the hidden madman in every such person is not valid. A confidential conversation is necessary to win someone with a similar problem.
- Openness … You don’t have to be too right if a disabled person with a speech disorder said undiagnosed. At the same time, you should not be rude, but tactfully asking about the essence of what has been said is allowed. If desired, the interlocutor can write a sentence on paper that will immediately smooth out unpleasant situations during the conversation.
A disabled child in a family or an older adult with a disability is a difficult test for his loved ones and himself. However, with a properly organized daily life and competent support from relatives, individuals with similar problems can feel in demand in society.